Sunday, August 11, 2013

Fried chicken

I'm about to officially start my teaching career...with a week of professional development. I'm nervous and excited, but also wondering where the hell summer has gone. It can't be August already!

That being said, I've been eating out like...every day...since moving here. When classes start, I'll only have a 25 minute lunch, which means there is no way I'm going to be able to run to Jimmy Johns or Chickfila. Soo...it looks like I'm going to have to make myself some meals. 

In honor of my new hometown, we're starting off with (Baked) Fried Chicken.  I went with the healthier baked version found here, just to make myself feel a little bit better about not working out after eating this. 

(Baked) Fried Chicken
Prep Time
35 min
Bake Time
40 min
Total Time
1hr 15min


Ingredients
  • 3-4 chicken breasts
  • 1/2 c all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tbsp seasoned salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/8 c butter
  • Buttermilk


Instructions
  1. Place chicken breasts in a bowl of buttermilk.  Cover and let soak for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
  2. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.
  3. Combine flour, salt, seasoned salt, pepper and Paprika in a large bowl.
  4. Cut 1/4c butter into a few pieces and pop in the microwave for 30 seconds to completely melt. 
  5. Pour melted butter in a 9 x 13-inch pan. Be sure to cover the entire bottom of the pan.
  6. Shake excess buttermilk off of the chicken, and dip into flour mixture. Be sure to coat each piece thoroughly.
  7. Place each piece of chicken in pan.
  8. Bake for 20 minutes. 
  9. Remove pan from oven and turn each piece of chicken over.
  10. Continue to bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until cooked through (170 degrees Farenheit).
  11. Enjoy! Best if served with grape soda. Or better yet, wine 

No comments:

Post a Comment